Personal Note: Intermittent fasting

This is about what I've discovered over the past few years. I started intermittent fasting in 2019. My intentions were good by my commitment wasn't. 

Retirement 

After retiring in 2021, I looked into the process again. It occured to me that this, and a much faster metabolic rate, is the reason I was 175 lbs from High School to age 29, when I got married for the first time. For me regularly skipping meals was the norm. 

I realized I did not need three meals a day, or six small meals. 

My body was a true hunter-gatherer metabolism. A lot of walking, and little eating. 

I grew up in Chicago, and like the majority of city dewelers, I was dependent on public transportation.

I took the bus to the L, and took the L into the city to work. The Bus was the only way to school before that. And before that my main transportation was walking. 

I walked from N. Long Avenue and W Argyle Street to North Milwaukee Avenue and North Elston Avenue in Chicago; for the hell of it on a daily basis when I couldn't catch up with my friends. That is a 40 minute walk one way as the crow flies. Since I was walking I was wandering up and over different streets to get to the McDonalds there. Yes, I ate McDonalds. 

My slim physique was due to being fit, and fasting regularly, not from just being young. I didn't join a structured fitness program because I was already fit, but never really realized it, or appreciated it. Walking was just a way of life in Chicago.

Of course growing older and moving away took me away from walking, and into the sedentary life of a corporate citizen.

This brings me back to now. 

From 2021 (post COVID) until mid 2023, I tried Intermittent Fasting. It worked. I lost 40 lbs, and keep off 39 lbs after I stop fasting. I've got more to go.

I'm starting fasting again. My goal is 200 lbs. I need to be fit to face what the world has coming in the last years of my life. 

Comments